Tuesday, June 28, 2011

This week's groceries, a little late

Sorry about being off for a few days...

We picked up groceries on Saturday, a good week at $47.03. Meat and eggs ran $15.45; dairy was $8.88; produce was $15.32; bread and other items were $7.38. Eggs were still our worst deal at $1.43. My best deal was my brand of natural peanut butter for $1.50 a jar.

I did experiment with the wok last week. I cut up a chicken breast and cooked it most of the way before adding a mix (from frozen) of asparagus, red and yellow pepper, corn, and a little shredded zucchini and carrot, seasoned with low-sodium soy sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic. We served it over the soba noodles, and apparently it came out pretty well because my daughter asked if we could have it again.

It wasn't one of our cheapest meals, probably about $2.50 total, but it took less than 15 minutes total to make. I'm in love with the noodles, they cook in 3 minutes, so we'll definitely be buying them again. Probably not as nutritious as brown rice, but they're ready in a fraction of the time.

No comments: